Having a lawn with a lot of trees is like having a dog with long hair: your house and lawn is destined to be covered with leaves. Now that it’s mid-October, it is time to think about winterization and cleaning out your gutters before any heavy snowfall – my least favorite task. It is best sometimes to just pull the band aid off quickly. Don’t think, find something old and long sleeved, grab gloves, and let’s power through this.
- What you will need:
- Long sleeved, work clothes
- Plastic scoop
- Heavy duty gloves
- An extendable ladder
- Trash backs
- A hose
- Extend ladder and place it near the top of the downspout. If possible, buy a standoff stabilizer to attach to the top of your ladder. This will make it so that you are balanced against the roof instead of on the gutter.
- Fasten a trash bag to the ladder near the top, and begin scooping out leaves near the downspout and work backwards.
- After cleaning out the whole of the gutter, we will test for leaks and blockages using the host. Run the hose from the furthest point, towards the downspout. The stream of water will be a good indicator of what to do next.
- If the stream flows steadily towards the downspout but doesn’t drain, that means more attention is needed to clean out this funnel. Luckily, there is a hose attachment that can do this. Take the attachment and instead of running it top down, feed it in from the bottom and run water through it to try and clear the clog. After a minute or so of this, try running the water from the top of the spout. If it still doesn’t drain, repeat this step.
- If step three led to stagnant water in parts of your gutter, they may not be hung correctly. In order to drain, gutters need to decline at the rate of ¼’ per ever 10 ft towards the downspout.
- Finally, while preforming step three, keep an eye on leakage. Note the spots where you find a heavy drip. If the leak is occurring at the seam of 2 gutter lengths, this is fairly easy to repair with gutter sealant along the crack. Same goes for end cap leaks. However, if the leak comes from a full on hole and not a crack the repair process will be more extensive.
Clean gutters are the first step to preparing your home for inclement weather. Need help with the weatherization process? Give Handyman Matters a call! 866-FIX-MY-HOME.